Peter Perry was a founder of the Town of Whitby; an astute businessman and truly dedicated to his community. It is this spirit, enthusiasm and dedication to the community that the Whitby Chamber of Commerce (WCC) is proud to recognize today. Many people in our community give countless hours to make the Town of Whitby a better place. The Peter Perry Award is an extension of that commitment to giving back to our town and honours one outstanding individual who has made significant contributions to the community. Nominations for this prestigious award close Wednesday, September 4 at 5 p.m.
- Nominees must have made significant contributions to the social, economic and cultural fabric of the Town of Whitby over a period no less than 10 years. This could include a multi-disciplined approach through business engagement, volunteerism, community leadership, etc.
- Nominees must have lived and/or worked in Whitby for a substantial period of their life. Currently living in Whitby is not a requirement.
- Nominees may not currently be engaged in municipal, provincial or federal government.
- An individual may only be awarded the Peter Perry award once in their lifetime but may be nominated more than once. Individuals can be nominated posthumously.
- Nominations for the Peter Perry Award may be submitted by individuals and/or businesses. An individual is discouraged from nominating themselves.
- Nominees do not have to be or have been, a member of the WCC.
“To be considered in the company of the great citizens who have previously won this award is truly humbling,” said 2018 Peter Perry Award winner, Doug Allingham. “Whitby is a great place to live and work as a result of the continued hard work of many people; volunteerism is what makes this community standout and it is the efforts of many that improve the quality of life for all residents. Those who volunteer, and there are many in this town, know that success is a journey, not a destination, and they are rewarded by the thought of enriching the lives of every person who resides here – young or old, including those who face various challenges in life.”
In addition to six Business Achievement Awards, the Peter Perry Award winner will be announced at the Peter Perry & Business Achievement Awards gala on Thursday, November 21.